The program steps up in week 2, less overall runs 6 vs 8 from last week but they are all 90 seconds, The only saving grace is that the recovery periods have increased to 2 minutes as well. I was really not looking forward to this, although I could see a little bit of improvement in re-running week 1, I’m not convinced it would translate into this week.
In the back of my head, I felt I could probably make it to halfway, i.e. the first 3 runs, but anything beyond that was going to be a voyage into the unknown.
We went back to the country park, on a slightly overcast but warm Sunday afternoon.
Turns out running 90 seconds as opposed to 60 seconds doesn’t make a massive difference. The session seemed to be over very quickly, the last two runs were as always a bit tough. Really just hanging on, lots of puffing and panting and trying to fight down rising nausea in the last 30 seconds. The biggest issue I had, and I noticed it on the last week 1 run, is that I’m tending to have to chase after my running partner rather than run at a pace that’s comfortable for me.
As discussed previously he has a naturally longer stride than my dwarf legs and over even 90 second period he’s getting a few metres ahead. In the last couple of runs, I was really struggling to keep with his pace and I was having to dig deep to maintain any sensible gap.
That and the grass is starting to get very long around the outside, helped by recent rain, to the point I’ve ended up with grass stuck in my sole where a piece of the rubber is coming off. Hopefully, they’ll get around to giving it a mow before it’s up to my waist.
So totally possible to run 6×90 seconds, but it’s not fun and it’s becoming a real challenge to keep up.